Tuesday, July 17, 2007

NYC, it's an adult portion....


As Chris Everheart reminded me, Levon Helm of The Band once said about NYC: "NYC, it's an adult portion."
Damn straight.

Just got back from Thrillerfest where I and fellow Midwesterners Kelly Keady and Chris Everheart took in the "sights and sounds" of the Big Apple. What a weekend - I'm not even sure where to begin. How about the beginning?

The organization honored 22 of us new authors with a breakfast where I got a minute to speak about myself and my book. At first I thought a minute wasn't very long - until I saw the sea of faces looking back at me. One minute can be very long indeed. But judging by the photo above, I didn't project that nervousness, although I think I stared at my book the entire time.

Then it was off to panels and discussions and networking and trying not to look or act too much like an asshole. Do no harm is the first rule at these things. Moderately successful on that front I think. Met some terrific people and I know I'll forget most of their names the next time we meet so I apologize now for that.


I did a couple signings for the book and here I am next to another debut author Sean Chercover. Picked up his book for the flight home - I'm a big James Crumley fan and I now have someone to fill that void 'cause Crumley doesn't write much anymore. Sean's Big City, Bad Blood is PI fiction at its best. And that's the lovely Jennifer from the equally lovely island of Barbados - and yes, Sean is stealing my women fans as fast as I make them....

I was on a panel with the great David Morrell and we chatted about heroes that aren't your typical hero. My guy being a dive shop operator qualified. Bright guy, and a huge fan of the old TV show Route 66. He gave a little presentation one night and I found it fascinating - and an intimate look into David's life and influences. It's those moments that I find fascinating - getting behind the green curtain and seeing the complete man.

More to come I'm sure, but my brain is still thick with all that's happened the past couple days. Time to hit the hammock and decompress. Margarita please....

No comments: