Sunday, April 8, 2007

Home is the sailor, home from the sea


One of the joys of my job is that I get to travel the world a bit. I'm off to the United Kingdom next week and I'm planning on spending a few days up in Scotland. And while there, I hope to get to the coastline. No matter where I seem to be, I can't help but be drawn to the sea. It pushes and pulls me, the sea. Like the moon pushes and pulls the tide, we are inseparable the sea and I.

Scotland is also the birthplace of one of my favorite childhood authors, Robert Louis Stevenson.

Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.
This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea.
And the hunter home from the hill.

This is the inscription from Stevenson's gravestone. Kinda sums it up for me.

No comments: